Cloud Computing has become the buzzing topic of today's technology driving largely by marketing and services offered by prominent corporate organizations like Google, IBM & Amazon. Cloud computing is the next stage to evolve the internet. Though for some people "Cloud Computing" is a big deal, actually it is not. In reality, cloud computing is something that we have been using for a long time; it is the internet facility along with the associated standards that provide a set of web-services to users. When users draw the term 'Internet' as a "cloud", they simply represent the essential characteristics of cloud computing.
Defining Cloud Computing
Cloud computing is the latest generation technology with a high IT infrastructure that provides us a means by which we can use and utilize the applications as utilities via the internet. Cloud computing makes IT infrastructure along with their services available "on-need" basis. The cloud technology includes - a development platform, hard disk, computing power, software application, and database. This technology doesn't require large-scale capital expenditure to access cloud vendors. Instead, the cloud facilitates 'pay-per-use,' i.e., the users of the organizations have to pay only that limited amount as much they use the cloud infrastructure. In other words, cloud computing refers to applications and services that run on a distributed network using virtualized resources and uses the standard internet protocols for accessing.
Affect of Cloud on Human Lives
- The application became cheaper, easier to find and use.
- The new application becomes more comfortable to develop & create based on a standard modular part
- Cloud will provide new social services by connecting through social networks
- Lessen the usage of proprietary operating systems in our daily computing
- Connection to the cloud can be done whenever we want
Prerequisites to Cloud
Before learning about Cloud technology, readers must know about Networking, computers, database, etc. Terms such as operating system, applications, programs, and their meanings must have to be known before starting this.
Why This Cloud Technology
The small, as well as large IT companies, follow the old traditions of managing IT infrastructure, i.e., server room to keep all the details and maintaining that server. In one word it is a server room, but actually, it consists of database servers, mail server, firewalls, routers, switches, QPS (Query per second) & Load handler and other networking devices along with server engineers. To provide such IT infrastructure, a huge amount of money has to spend. So, to reduce the IT infrastructure cost, Cloud Computing technology came into play.
Advantages of Cloud
- Low Cost: To run cloud technology, users don't require high power computer & technology as because the application will run on the cloud and not on users' PC.
- Storage capacity: The Cloud storage capacity is unlimited & generally offers a huge storage capacity of 2000-3000 GBs or more based on the requirement.
- Low cost of IT infrastructure: As discussed earlier, the investment will be less if an organization uses Cloud technology; even the IT staffs and server engineers are also not required.
- Increase computing power: Cloud servers have a very high-capacity of running and processing tasks as well as the processing of applications.
- Reduce Software Costs: Cloud minimizes the software costs as users don't need to purchase software for organizations or every computer.
- Updating: Instant software update is possible & users don't have to face the choice problem between obsolete & high-upgrade software.
The Latest Paradigm
Cloud computing technology brings a shift in the real paradigm of technology in the way systems are deployed. The massive cloud computing technology was enabled by the likeness & trend of the Internet & the growth of some famous multinational companies. Cloud computing makes user dream come into reality by the concepts of 'pay-as-you-go', infinite scale architecture and universal system available with high-speed and accuracy.
With the help of the cloud, an organization or individual can start from low and small grade to a big name within a short time. So cloud computing is said to be a revolutionary change, even though the technology is still in an evolving stage. Cloud computing takes services, application & technology that are similar to the internet world, and convert them into the self-service utility.
Disadvantages of Cloud
- Internet speed: Cloud technology requires high-speed internet connection as web-based applications often require large bandwidth amount.
- Constant Internet Connection: Its impossible to use cloud infrastructure without the internet. To access any application or cloud storage, a constant internet connection is required.
- Security: Data storage might not be secure. With cloud computing, all the data gets stored in the cloud & hence unauthorized user may gain access to user's data in the cloud.
Cloud Model Types
If we analyze the Cloud technology intelligently, we will see that most people separate the cloud computing model into two distinct set:
- Deployment Model: refers to the management of the cloud's infrastructure. Cloud hosting deployment model designates the exact category of the cloud environment, its size and accessing mechanism. It also tells the nature and purpose of the cloud.
- Service model: Cloud computing is a broad term which holds a more extensive range of services. It is composed of a particular type of services; cloud computing platform allows its users to access.
Both of these topics will have an elaborate discussion on the later chapters as each of them has their subcategories.