Styling your web page to make it look appealing is also an essential element of web designing and development. CSS helps in giving styles for describing the presentation of the markup based documents. In this chapter, you will learn about the basics of what CSS is and how it can be helpful in styling markup documents.
What is CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)?
CCSS is abbreviated as Cascading Style Sheets and is used for describing how HTML elements need to be displayed when they are represented in a web page format or other media. It also helps in saving a lot of work because controlling the layout of multiple web pages can be done all at a time. It helps in representing how markup based documents can be presented in conjunction with HTML. The latest version of CSS released in CSS3.
Benefits of CSS3
- Compatible with Old Versions: This is the most beautiful feature of CSS3 as it gets compatible with its older versions. This is advantageous as designers won't have to relinquish their previous work because of the arrival of CSS3.
- Simple yet Independent: Like that of CSS2, CSS3 is created using tiny modules that compose the application more straightforward and more comfortable to exercise. Some of the most vital components and features offered by CSS3 are selectors, box model, color, borders, backgrounds, 2D and 3D transformations, Text Effects, and user interface.
- View and Change-Friendly: As the various CSS concepts have been broken down into tiny chunks or modules, it has become easier to alter the elements individually without particularly disturbing the remaining components. Also, CSS has become compatible with all kinds of platform.
- Eye-catching backgrounds: CSS helps in making attractive backgrounds, especially using CSS3. It permits web designers to prefer from a wide range of backgrounds that can be useful and catch the eye with ease. Also, these backgrounds have the feature of gradient colors and resizing so that they can fit for the project.
- Images and Animations: CSS helps in ornamenting the appearance and feel of a website or web pages immeasurably by making use of some simple styles. It permits straightforward incorporation of a variety of images-including 3D images in your web development project. It also makes easy insertion of videos or animations in your web pages along with flexibility for customization.
- Testing its features: Because of the smaller modules (specifically in CSS3), testing of every entity becomes smooth, which ultimately saves a lot of time and effort.
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
CSS is developed, updated and maintained by a faction of people of the W3C and the group is named as "CSS Working Group". This group produces documents called specifications. When these specifications in the form of documents are released and approved by the developers' community, they are set officially so that other users can use it as a standard mechanism of using CSS.