Building a team who will help you govern and stay with your decisions and guide you on this journey is another very prime role for entrepreneurs. It is one of the most delightful stages of building a company because if you are doing it right, you are actually tracking the great players of the market and this will eventually lead them, and you change the world. Some entrepreneurs view it as a burden while other views it as a challenge. It is a kind of micro-evangelism.
Good Tactics for Team Building
- Quality people: You have to look for people who share some qualities in your idea that could help in the journey you all are planning to make. Also, they should come from different background and issues to point out so that things can be fixed and the prominent decision can be made.
- Shared attributes - Vision: Board members should have the same or similar vision to bring the company's tag from a 'startup' to an 'MNC'. These board members or high officials of your company will focus on how your product or idea will evolve in the market. In one word, the team should ensure that there is a shared vision that leads to one conclusion in either way.
- Shared attributes - Size: In this case, you have to choose like-minded people. There are some employees and board members who want to work for large companies with thousands of employees in one city or office and all the features and facilities available. While there are employees with the mentality to work in small companies where everyone knows each other well kind of family. So, you have to choose the lead team member based on their mindset because these top-level employees will help your company grow.
- Timeline: Choose members of your team wisely because there are lead members who want to grow a company and within 5 to 8 years make it public, and sell it with profit. Another type of top-level employees is there who want to make the company last long and feel the company as their dream home. It is up to you as the founder and owner that what type of people you want in your team based on your mentality regarding the future of the enterprise.
- Commitment: Some people are committed to their duty and work and they believe through this they could earn respect and dreams and step towards success. For others work and the job is just a way to make money or experience. So, you as an entrepreneur have to filter them out and choose the most committed employees as your board members.
Other than that area where you like to be different are expertise, study background, culture and countries, orientation, a way of work, etc. If your superior team is excellent in building a product and great at selling the stuff, you bang on the exact point. You can take the example of Steve Wozniak (developing things) and Steve Jobs (selling items).
The Other Points to Add on to Build Your Top-level Employees
The other dimension of building a great team is to focus on the below-mentioned entities:
- Identification of positions between co-founders and other hired or joined members.
- Identification of advisors, fundraisers, contracts, investors, partners and full-time members.
- The hiring of employees (in this chapter you've seen the leaders of the company deals with the significant role of the hiring of the right employees).
- Be particular on hiring process that comprises of qualified and overqualified employees.
- Consult and brainstorm with your advisors and co-founders while choosing the top-level members of your organization.