If you are familiar with website development or are planning to build your website or web app, you must also know about web hosting, as you will need this information to publish your app online. This tutorial contains introductory information about web hosting, which is essential for anyone working in the web application development field and learning about it.
What is Web Hosting?
Web hosting is a process and service through which web application or website files are stored in a Web server to publish to the Internet via World Wide Web. These files are primarily hosted to be publicly available around the world at any time.
Web hosting requires computers that can offer 24x7 uptime and serve multiple client requests simultaneously. Thus, if multiple clients request access to webpage files simultaneously, the server will be able to respond to them without any downtime.
It is also possible to set up your PC as a web server and run web applications or websites from it. But since web servers require 100% uptime, you have to keep your PC running at all times, and this is not a practical and cheap way of doing web hosting. On the other hand, hosting companies also provide many additional features with all these services, saving our time and effort.
How to Use Web Hosting?
There are two different ways to do web hosting:
Host on Your Local Computer
When we say that you can self-host any website on your local computer, for that, you will need to set up your web server. These are some of the things that are required to build your web server:
- Requires an internet connection which is available at all times.
- Next, you will require ensuring that your Internet service provider (ISP) supports this type of usage that can handle large traffic requests too.
- You will also need to have sound knowledge and good technical skills to handle network hardware and the website administration skills like configuring, managing and installing the entire web server, firewalls, patch management, virus protection, etc.
Most of the website owners and developers do not go along with creating their website hosting. Even when they have the skills and budget to buy the equipment, it is often good to get web hosting solutions from hosting companies that can monitor a website 24x7.
Getting Service from Hosting Provider to Host Websites
Getting service from a hosting provider is a more popular option than the previous one. By using hosting services, you can host your files efficiently and launch your website quickly. Leaving hosting responsibilities on a company that maintains web hosting will make it easier for you to focus on developing your web app or website.
These are some good reasons to choose Web hosting services:
- Usually, hosting providers provide a control panel to manage your app using GUI (Graphical User Interface). Even if you are not familiar with CLI (Command-Line Interface), you can perform your tasks efficiently.
- They also assure you 99.9% uptime of web server availability with FTP and HTTPS support which is good.
- Here you can get better hardware according to the traffic needs of your site at a lower cost.
- They also provide support services so that you can communicate your issues with them and resolve them quickly.
In addition to the services mentioned above, hosting companies offer Business Emails, CDN services, DDoS mitigation, image hosting, database hosting, website backups, and many other beneficial services, which we will learn about in further chapters.