XML is sets of user defined markup tags which is used to create information format.
What is XML?
- XML is designed to store and transport data, not to display data like HTML in web browser.
- XML is not a programming language.
- XML is markup language which is derived from Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML).
- XML is markup language for documents containing structured information.
- XML is recommended by W3C, XML Version 1.0 introduced by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in 1998.
- XML is bridge for data exchange on the Web.
- XML tags are not predefined, and you can define your own tags.
- XML media type is application/xml and file extension is .xml.
What you can Do With XML
- XML is mainly used to transmit data between server and web application. Ex. If you have client and server and you want data from the server, or want to send data to the server, then you can use XML for this purpose.
- XML is used to store data.
- XML also used for the creation of User Interface(UI) layouts in Android.