XML is sets of user defined markup tags which is used to create information format.
What is XML?
- XML is designed to store and transport data, not to display data like HTML.
- XML is not a programming language.
- XML is markup language which is derived from Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML).
- XML is markup language for documents containing structured information.
- XML is recommended by W3C, XML Version 1.0 introduced by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in 1998.
- XML is bridge for data exchange on the Web.
- XML tags are not predefined, and you can define your own tags.
- XML media type is application/xml and file extension is .xml.
What you can Do With XML
- XML is mainly used to transmit data between server and web application. Ex. If you have a client and the server and you want data from the server, then you can use XML to serve the data.
- XML can be used to store data.
- XML used for the creation of User Interface(UI) layouts in Android.