Android is used by most of the mobile users and is a trending topic of modern technology. It is an open source area of development and is a Linux based OS which acts as middleware and a key mobile application. This OS is designed to use in modern smartphones, e-book readers, set-top boxes, tablets, and televisions as well. Open Handset Alliance created it. In this tutorial, you will learn the basics of Android, and what are its features and categories of applications developed for Android.
What is Android?
Android is an open source software package that was developed primarily to improve the mobile user experience and has now become the best-selling operating system for mobile devices. Android is now a part of Google and the Open Handset Alliance, and the current version of the Android operating system is Oreo (version 8.0), which was released in August 2017.
Features of Android
Android is filled with a lot of features which makes it popular in the world. These are:
- Android is a customizable operating system, and therefore users can customize it in their way.
- It has an opening screen, quick notification option, stylish yet straightforward UI, etc.
- It is an open source application.
- A diverse range of applications can be chosen to install and use from Android Play Store.
- It supports Touch-based keyboards.
- It has Customized Home screen.
- It provides custom ROMs.
- Widgets for better UX.
Why Use Android?
- Android provides a large developer's community support.
- It uses the core Java language for developing applications.
- It also provides high marketing.
- Application development cost is less.
- Good storage and uses a lightweight relational database, SQLite
- It provides good security.
Different Genres of Android Applications
There are a wide variety of Android applications which you can develop after learning android development. These are:
- Utility applications.
- Entertainment applications.
- Music and Audio.
- Social applications.
- Travelling and Location-based applications.
- Video and Media applications.
- Communication applications.
- Personalization applications.
- Game applications.
- Lifestyle applications.
- Business applications.
- Finance applications.
- Sports applications.
- Learning applications etc.