The term system can be anything, either a desktop, laptop or tablet, etc. When the term "System Hacking" comes into play, it usually means the art of hacking a computer using tools and techniques. 'How to hack a system or computer?' is probably one of the most frequently asked questions by most Internet users and hacking enthusiasts. So here's a brief idea of what and how system hacking plays a significant role to doom the target.
This chapter is not about motivating you for system hacks; it educates you to keep yourself safe from the system hacking.
What is System Hacking?
System hacking is a vast subject that consists of hacking the different software-based technological systems such as laptops, desktops, etc. System hacking is defined as the compromise of computer systems and software to access the target computer and steal or misuse their sensitive information. Here the malicious hacker exploits the weaknesses in a computer system or network to gain unauthorized access to its data or take illegal advantage.
How Hackers Perform System Hacking?
A hacker can hack the computer system because the hacker knows the actual work of computer systems and software inside the system. For this, a hacker has information about the systems, networking, and knowledge of other areas related to computer science. Anyone who is using a computer and is connected to the internet is susceptible to malicious hackers' threats. These online villains generally use viruses, malware, Trojans, worms, phishing techniques, email spamming, social engineering, exploit operating system vulnerabilities, or port vulnerabilities to access any victim's system.
What Can These Predators Do Using after Compromising the System
When your PC gets connected to the internet, the hacker may execute the malware on your PC and quietly transmits the personal, financial, and essential information without your knowing consent. These hackers can blackmail the victim for the money by stealing that sensitive information from your computer, which you don't want to reveal. After compromising the victim's system, the hacker can do these following things:
- Ruin the victim's data by deleting the files.
- Steal files and folders.
- Hijack victim's username and password.
- Steal money and credit card details while the victim is doing e-marketing or online transaction.
- Sell victim's information to third parties who may use this information for illicit purposes.
- Create traffic to shut down your website.
- Get access to the servers and manipulate the files, programs, etc.
Linux System Hacking
As we all know, Linux is an Operating System (OS) assembled user the model of open-source software development and distribution and is based on Unix OS created by Linus Torvalds.
Now to hack a Linux-based computer system and get access to a password protected Linux system, we have to know Linux's basic file structure. As we know, Linux is considered to be the most secure OS to be hacked or cracked, but in the world of Hacking, nothing is 100% secured.
Hackers usually use the following techniques to hack the Windows system.
- Hack Linux using the SHADOW file.
- Another technique commonly used by hackers is to bypass the user password option in Linux.
- In another technique, the hacker detects the bug on Linux distribution and tries to take advantage of it.
The user password of Windows OS, which appears after the Windows starts logging in, lets users protect the computer from getting unauthorized access. Choosing a strong password of more than eight digits is an excellent practice. Henceforth you can protect your files and folders from the hands of malicious users. There are several tricks and techniques to crack a windows password. But, from the hacker's point of view, if you can use social engineer your victim and find a Windows computer open, you can easily modify the existing password and give a new password that will be unaware of the victim or the owner of the computer.
Human Precautions Against System Hacking
The following are the precautionary points you should know to protect from system hacking or computer hacking:
- Use extreme caution while entering chatrooms or dealing with chatrooms' users online.
- Continuously check for the accuracy of the personal account.
- Carefully deal with friends' requests from online social networking sites and emails.
- Don't open or click unnecessary emails from strangers or unknown senders.
Keep these points in mind to protect your system from hacking:
- Use both way firewall and keep updating.
- Update the OS for better patches.
- Avoid questionable websites.
- Use Internet Security Antivirus and Anti-malware software protection with definition updates.
- Increase the browser security settings.
- Download the required software from trusted sites only.
- Practice using safe email protocols such as SSL, SMTPS, etc.
- Check whether the sites are HTTPS or not for better secured online services and transactions.
- Immediately delete those messages which you suspect to be spam.
- Try to use genuine software(s) and not the pirated ones because the pirated ones could be reverse-engineered. Hackers can attach monitoring or malicious tools and programs with the software.