What is JSON?
The first thing to understand is that JSON is a lightweight text data exchange format rather than a programming language. Its syntax supports strings, values, booleans, and nulls, as well as objects and arrays based on it.
Here are some facts about JSON:
- Douglas Crockford invented JSON format.
- JSON is a lightweight text-data interchange format.
- JSON is not a programming language.
- XML is alternative to JSON. However, JSON objects have several advantages instead of XML.
- JSON media type is application/json and file extension is .json.
Features of JSON
- JSON is Scalable. Because of language-independent, it works with most of the modern programming language.
- JSON is lightweight.
- JSON is easy to read and write.
- JSON is a text-based, human-readable data exchange format.
What you can Do With JSON
- JSON is mainly used to transmit data between server and web application.
- Currently, the NoSQL database is also using JSON for storing information.