An Operating System (OS) acts as an interface connecting a computer user with the hardware of the computer. An operating system falls under the category of system software that performs all the fundamental tasks like file management, memory handling, process management, handling the input / output and governing and managing the peripheral devices like disk drives, networking hardware, printers etc.
Some well-liked Operating Systems are Linux, Windows, OS X, Solaris, OS/400, Chrome OS etc.
Features of Operating System
Here is a list of some significant functions of an operating System, which is found common, is almost all operating system:
- Memory Management
- Processor Managing
- Device Managing
- File handling
- Security Handling
- System performance controlling
- Job accounting and handling
- Error detecting and handling
- Synchronization with other software and users
Objectives of Operating System
An Operating System have special program which controls the execution of application programs. OS acts as an intermediary among applications and the hardware components. OS can be thought of as having three objectives. These are:
- Convenience: It makes a computer more suitable to use.
- Efficiency: It provides the computer system resources with efficiency and in easy to use format.
- Ability to develop: It should be built in such a way that it permits the efficient development, testing and installation of new system functions without interfering with service.