We all know that programming languages require editors to write and execute code. For HTML, these code editors are HTML editors that help developers create and edit HTML documents. You will learn more about these editors in this tutorial.
What Is an HTML Editor?
An HTML editor is computer software used to write and edit HTML code. This type of software helps manage the entire web development project by using different modes of document editing and functionality. Using text-based HTML editors, users can edit the source code directly, and WYSIWYG editors can display documents for editing in the same way a web browser will show them afterward. These editors are usually part of a particular integrated development environment.
Advantages of Using HTML Editors
The most common features of a good HTML editor are:
- Syntax highlighting: This feature separates HTML tags into different colors based on their categories, making it easier to read and recognize the code structure.
- Auto-completion: This feature automatically suggests names and attributes of an HTML element based on previously added values, saving time when typing a long piece of code.
- Error detection: This feature scans the code for syntax errors, and whenever you type the wrong code, it provides options to correct it immediately.
- Search and replace: This is a feature to find and replace texts in a document or files in a folder, which helps in saving time for searching and replacing.
- Code folding: This feature hides some parts of the code and helps the developer focus on certain parts of the document.
- FTP integration: This feature connects your editor directly to the webserver via an FTP client.
Types of HTML Editors
HTML editors are of two different types. One is a text-based HTML editor, and the other is the WYSIWYG editor.
Text-based HTML Editors
This HTML editor design considers that the user is familiar with HTML and understands how to use the different tags in the HTML. A good text-based editor also offers a correction feature highlighting syntax errors in different colors. Users can use much online and offline software.
A WYSIWYG editor is convenient for HTML users who have full or no HTML knowledge. WYSIWYG is short for what you see is what you get. It accurately reflects what an HTML editor can do. Using this editor, users can edit their HTML syntax in the format of the respective websites. The editor can instantly convert all accesses to CSS or HTML. These functions are similar to the prevailing office programs. If users make any changes to the text or images, these will appear immediately after the user has edited. In addition, users can use the WYSIWYG editor for CMS and blog systems, for example, Joomla and WordPress.
Common HTML text editors are Notepad (PC) or TextEdit (Mac). Users can use these editors to write and execute HTML code to learn and practice HTML; we recommend users to use these simple text editors for learning purposes.
List of HTML Editors
Many specialized software applications are available online for editing HTML code and creating web pages. Here is a list of some popular HTML editors:
- Sublime Text
- Notepad ++
- Visual Studio Code
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Google Web Designer