What is PHP?
PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is an open-source HTML-embedded server-side scripting language which used to develop dynamic and interactive web applications and also used as a general-purpose programming language. A lot of the syntax of PHP is borrowed from other languages such as C, Java and Perl. However, PHP has a number of unique features and specific functions as well.
PHP is developed by the Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995, and was later developed as open source. The main implementation of PHP is now managed by the PHP Group.
To describe a PHP page, you can say that it is a file with .php extension that contains a combination of HTML tags and PHP scripts that run on a web server.
- PHP recursive acronym for ‘PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor’. HyperText means, text containing all sorts of web markups, Pre Processor means all of the HyperText is processed first and then the result is send as pure HTML to the web browser. A client cannot see the PHP source code because it is pre processed and interpreted.
- PHP is Server side scripting language.Server side scripting means that all of the code in php is processed on the web servers rather than on clients machine.
- PHP supports many databases (Servers are using MySQL and PHP combination widely).
- PHP is an open source scripting language.
- PHP is free to download and use.
What you can Do With PHP
You can create web applications using PHP.
Facebook, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Twitter, WordPress are all developed in PHP, you can also develop next big thing using PHP.
You Should Already Know
Before you begin this tutorial it is necessary that you have a basic understanding and experience in the following:
- HTML – Know the syntax and especially HTML Forms.
- Basic programming knowledge – If you have any traditional programming experience like ‘C’ it will make learning PHP a great deal easier.
PHP Why? Popular Features of PHP
- The best things in using PHP is extremely easy for a newcomer, and also it has many advanced features for a professional programmer.
- PHP is easy to learn and runs efficiently on the server side.
- PHP works on many operating systems like Linux, Windows, Mac OS X and many more.
- PHP is FREE to download from the official PHP resource: www.php.net
- PHP supports many databases like MySQL, MS-SQL , Oracle, Sybase, PostgreSQL and many others.
- PHP can dynamically generate HTML, PDF, Flash, Text, CSV, XML and many others.
- PHP takes less time to make a website.
- There are many good frameworks available in php.
PHP vs. Other Technologies
- Many developers working in other technologies which are also interested to work in PHP, for example JSP, ASP, Perl, ColdFusion to name of few.
- Usually it’s a matter of preference and the cost involved that urges developers to pick PHP one over the other.
- May be different opinions about it, but most of PHP developers believe that PHP is easier to learn and has a superior syntax than other languages. Additionally PHP is fast and safe.
- And on top of all it’s free.