Stress testing and performance testing are two major testing types used in software testing. In this chapter, you will be learning in brief about these two types.
Stress testing is a form of non-functional testing method which does a portion of performance testing in software testing. When you do the stress testing, the monitoring of the system is done as to check whether the system is overloading or not and to make sure whether the system can hold the entire stress or process of the application or not.
If you want to recover the system from such stage, after the stress test is one, it becomes very serious and critical for recovery.
Reasons for Conducting Stress Testing
- Stress testing permits the testers in monitoring the system's performance at the time of failure.
- It also helps in verifying the machine's performance and check whether it has saved the data before system crashing
- It is also used for verifying whether unexpected malfunctions don't lead to security-related problems
Stress Testing - Scenarios
- Monitoring of system's working at times when the maximum number of consumers logged at a time.
- Check for every user to perform the critical operations.
- Accessibility of users at the same file.
Performance testing can be defined as a non-functional testing method for performing or for determining the system constraints under different workloads. This test technique also measures the system's quality attributes like:
- Reliability and
- Resource usage
Furthermore, it can also be used for verifying whether a system congregates all the specifications required by the manufacturer or not. Hence, it is used to compare multiple devices and programs regarding constraint like speed, the transfer rate of data, its bandwidth and throughput and efficiency.
Performance Testing Tools
Here are some set of tools that can be used to carry out performance testing. These are:
- Jmeter - jmeter.apache.org
- Open STA - opensta.org
- Load Runner - www.hp.com
- Web Load - www.radview.com
Attributes Taken Care of in Performance Testing