WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS), which is open source and was created to manage blogs. WordPress allows you to easily create and manage your blogs and websites content without coding and it can be used to create a fully operational website.
What is Content Management System (CMS)?
Content Management System (CMS) is an application software that provides you an easy environment to manage your digital content data such as text, images, music, documents etc.
Features of WordPress
WordPress is considered to be the most popular content management system due to its characteristics.
- The most important features of WordPress are that you can create a dynamic website without any programming and design knowledge.
- WordPress is theme based which provides you options for various open source and premium design themes, which can be integrated easily without any designing knowledge.
- Plugins extend the functionality of WordPress, which can be used to add new required modules.
- WordPress sites are search engine optimization (SEO) friendly, it means sites built in WordPress can be easily optimized for search engine listings.
- WordPress is Multilingual, which allow users to translate content in their language.
- WordPress has inbuilt Media Management System which is used to manage images, music, documents etc. and can be used with text content.
Advantages of WordPress
- WordPress is free and an open source platform under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Design themes customization in WordPress is very easy.
- It allows you to manage users with different roles and permissions.
- WordPress media management is quick and easy to use.
- WordPress provides WYSIWYG editor to manage your text content which is very useful for manipulating the layout of the document.